Welcome to Pennsburg, PA
Learn more about living in Pennsburg
Pennsburg is located in Montgomery County, locally also referred to as Montco, a county located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. As of the 2010 census, the population was 799,874, making it the third-most populous county in Pennsylvania, after Philadelphia and Allegheny Counties, and the 71st most populous in the United States. The county seat is Norristown. Montgomery County is very diverse, ranging from farms and open land in Upper Hanover to densely populated rowhouse streets in Cheltenham.
Montgomery County is included in the Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is a suburban county northwest of Philadelphia, and marks part of the region’s northern border with the Lehigh Valley region of the state to the north. In 2010, it was the 51st wealthiest county in the country (measured by median household income). In 2008, it was named the 9th Best Place to Raise a Family by Forbes.
Pennsburg is part of the strip of small towns that run together along Route 29: Red Hill, Pennsburg, and East Greenville. Apocryphal history relates that these towns considered merging around the early 1970s and the combined name may have been ‘Red Pennsville’ or ‘East Pennhill’. The towns are collectively referred to as “Upper Perk”.
Pennsburg is located 40 mi (64 km) northwest of Philadelphia and 5 mi southwest of Quakertown. Pennsburg is located 40 mi northwest of Philadelphia and 5 mi southwest of Quakertown. Pennsburg’s elevation is at 350 ft above sea level. There is a nature preserve along Macoby Creek.
Pennsburg has a city manager form of government with a mayor and borough council. The borough is part of the Pennsylvania’s 6th congressional district , Pennsylvania’s 147th Representative District and the Pennsylvania Senate, District 24
Education: Pennsburg is part of the Upper Perkiomen School District. This school is rated above average in school quality compared to other schools in the state. Students here perform above average on state tests, have above average college readiness measures, are making above average year-over-year academic improvement, and this school has below average results in how well it’s serving disadvantaged students.
Empowering parents (Source: Great School)
GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to unlock educational opportunities for their children. We provide school information and parenting resources to help millions of American families choose the right school, support learning at home, and guide their children to great futures.
Great School provides easy-to-understand information on K-12 schools, including ratings, information on school resources and student outcomes, and reviews.
Things to do in Pennsburg
- Perkiomen Trail. A 19 mile long trail lining the Perkiomen Creek that offers horse trails, jogging, biking, or just sight-seeing.
- Green Lane Park. Boasts fishing, boating, camping, tennis, and ice skating as well as a playground and plenty of picnicking space!
- Pennsburg Nature Preserve. Peaceful and serene walking trails located right off of East 5th Street.
- The Grand Theater, 252 Main Street East, Greenville. An affordable, family oriented movie theater that features a large stage, 12,000 watts sound system, and even a VIP section. Once called the Old Valley Theater, it was renovated in 2004 and is now celebrating its 86th anniversary.
- Macoby Run Golf Course, 5275 McLean Station Rd, Green Lane. The front 9 holes have a 138′ of elevation change with both hills and trees to keep you on point. The back 9 holes offer a bit of a reprieve with open terrain.
- Sweet Water Golf Course, 2554 Geryville Pike. A “2777 yard par 36 with even two par 5’s – one of them the 475-yard No. 4. Nine and 18 hole rates are available.” Sweet Water Golf Course also “The Loft” venue for private parties and weddings.
- Bear Creek Mountain Resort, 101 Doe Mountain Ln, Macungie. Located about 15 minutes away from Pennsburg is Bear Creek’s Ski Resort and Spa. Spread over 330 acres, Bear Creek offers skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing, fishing, boating, tennis, hiking, and biking. It also features banquet and meeting facilities, grille, and a hotel and spa with indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs.